#EquipSA Session 3: Bruce Benge
“It’s hard to be humble when you’re as great as I am.”
“Superman don’t need no seat belt”
“It isn’t the mountains ahead that you climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe.”
“Dear friends, I am a little servant of an illustrious master”
“Humility does not mean thinking less of yourself, not does it mean having a low opinion of your own gift – humility is not thinking about yourself one way or the other at all.”
I have seen some great men and woman of God fall.
“Make it a joy to those who lead you…”
John tells us the Word became flesh and moved into our neighbourhood.
- The bad news is that God opposes the pride in people (v5)
- I’m going to give grace to the humble (v5)
- God will use His mighty hand to exalt the humble in due time (v6)
- I’m going to grow you, mature you, lift you up God will use His mighty hand to care for the humble in the interim (v7-11)
Satan was before God and requested access to Peter’s life
The Lead In
Jesus tells the “band of brothers” that one of them was going to betray Him
Then they began to argue who would be the greatest among them.
The tone of the conversation changes.
- Accusations started to fly
Isaiah 14; Proverbs 16:18
- This is a prophetic picture of Satan as one of the three Archangels.
- Then we read that he had aspired to make himself greater than God, and that pride led to his expulsion from Heaven.
- Satan heard pride amongst the disciples, and jumped at that! “Oi God, you said pride comes before a fall…”
- And so he asked God, “Can I sift this one God?”
The Fall / Peter’s denial
- Peter denies Jesus three time
- Something got into the fabric of Peter’s being which led him to fall – pride!
- A standard greeting term in Maori language is “Ten akwe”, which means “I see you.”
- And Jesus said this to Peter; “I see you Peter…”
The Redemptive Process
Peter, feed my sheep
Peter defers any sense of responsibility on himself for the healing that took place.
2 Peter 1:5-11
- It’s not about serving God – it’s about serving with Him
- It’s about Jesus dislodging things in our life that will give ground for the Devil to ask for us to be sifted
- When we fall, it’s not just about us
- It’s about my family, my church, my city and my nation
- While we are on Earth, there are people waiting for us
- That we may display the splendour of His glory to the Nations of the World
- The true secret to success is to be successful in our secret life
Where does Satan live?
- Satan lives in darkness
- There are still elements of darkness that still want to trap me
- I am still a sinner in need of a Saviour
Jesus warns His disciples
- Let the light penetrate right to the dark corners of your life
- Let the Kingdom reign of God get into to you, so it can shine out of you
Pride is a doorway to darkness
- The heart of the matter is always a matter of the heart.
- Sin is crouching at your doorway and it desires to be your master, waiting to pounce
- Cain heard the caring love of the Father and then went straight out to murder his brother
- We hear the truth but we say, “I’ll do it my way thanks…”
- 40% of the clientele that are buying porn are from the Christian community
- Jesus needs to rule in the hearts and lives of us as Leaders
- Here I stand but by the grace of God
- It’s not just about me, it’s about my life, my wife, my kids, my ministry, my church
- We need to be a Community that is transformed from the inside out
Humility is a doorway to allow God’s saving grace to work in our lives.
I can’t be perfect, but I can be perfectly placed for growth.
God wants us to grow, to grow up, to break through some stuff, grow in our risk.
When Jesus rules In the Heart There is Humility
Humility is a doorway to;
- Saving Grace
- On-going growth
- Divine protection
- Firm foundation